The extreme summer heat in Dubai means lots and lots of indoor activities for many kids. We spend a fortune on play lands and toys to keep the kids entertained every day and they still seem to be bored sometimes! – And it would also be nice if mummy could find a minute or two to relax ! One of the activities I like is play-dough – but I think it stinks and it’s quite pricey as well when you keep buying more – and lets just face it, it does get quite gross after a while. So I did some research and found this easy, cheap and natural play dough recipe – which also smells good! You can also make it organic if you like that…
- 2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or baby oil)
- 1 cup fine salt
- 2 tablespoon cream of tartar – the spice not the sauce!!!!! (They have it in Spinneys)
- 2 cup white flour
- Food colouring
- For smell: Add what ever you like; Essential oil (orange, mint, lemon) OR spice (turmeric, cinnamon) OR food essence (vanilla, almond)
- For extra fun: Lots of glitter!
- Combine water, oil, tartar and salt in a pot on a low heat until warm.
- Remove from heat and add flour. Stir!! Its sticky and looks weird but you will get there.
- Take it all out on the table. Knead until smooth – it really has a lovely texture and doesn’t stick to the table.
- Split in to portions and add differnt food colors and/or smell/glitter. And knead!
- Voila done – and play!
Store the dough in an airtight container or sealed plastic bag. The tartar makes it last for 6 months and also gives texture. You can skip it but then it might not last so long.
Hopefully it will keep the kids happy for just a few minutes!!
Super easy! Have fun – also mummy 😉
P.s. kids are in bed and im still playing with it!!